Sunday, June 04, 2006

Preparing for parenthood

This extended waiting period has given Patrick and I an opportunity to become better prepared as parents. I have spent some time reading about international adoption and was amazed at the amount of information there is out there!! At first it was pretty overwhelming--but now that we have some time on our hands--it has been very informative.

We recently read about attachment issues that most adopted children go through. I never really gave this much thought--now that I have a better understanding of what it is all about and why it happens--I am so grateful to the other families who shared their experiences and offered plans and solutions.

This will certainly be a learning curve for Patrick and I. We are quickly realizing that ultimately our daughter's needs and well-being are our first priority.

Thanks again to all of you for your love and support. We are grateful to all of our family and friends for helping get through the waiting period and helping us get ready to be parents!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Prepare all you want. After one month the kid will start behaving like a smart kid, occasionally. At two months signs of adulthood will be apparent. At three months, you will figure out that inspite of her not speaking supposedly because of the language issue, she understands completely what you want, don't want etc. and her silence is just manipulative to get what she wants. By six months she will be in complete control evey though you will not comprehend the fact. At one year you will understand that fact but will be in denial. But, keep your chin up ....... somewhere between her 19th and 24th birthday she will turn into a real person, one to whom you can relate and communicate and be friends. Oh yeah, its around that time that you are either planning or enjoying retirement.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»